Top Hashtags for Tourism Marketing in Northern Ireland
The Power of Hashtags in Tourism Marketing in Northern Ireland
Using hashtags in your content marketing can help your content not just be found but hashtag marketing can also help your online content be redistributed by influencers, heck it can even make your content go viral.
Northern Ireland businesses, organisations and marketers operating within the sphere of tourism should be aware and consider the relevance of the following hashtags in their online content. Moreover they should also consider whether the creation and communication of their own brand or campaign hashtag could enable their marketing to benefit from user generated content too.
Hashtags beneficial to Tourism marketers in Northern Ireland
- #DiscoverNI – created and managed by Tourism Northern Ireland – if you use hashtag: #discoverni on your instagram photos you are enabling Discover NI to feature your photos. Discover NI have 40,500 followers on Instagram (50,700 as of 13 May 2019). This hashtag has been used in 168,000 posts to date. (245,000 posts as of 13 May 2019 representing growth of 46%)
- #LoveIreland – created and managed by Tourism Ireland – if you use hashtag: #loveireland on your instagram photos you are enabling Tourism Ireland to feature your wonderful images. Tourism Ireland have 306,000 followers on Instagram. This hashtag has been used in 371,000 posts to date. (547,000 posts as of 14 May 2019 representing growth of 47%)
- #FillYourHeartWithIreland – created and managed by Tourism Ireland to support their new above the line global advertising campaign to drive tourism numbers that launched towards the end of December 2018 this hashtag has been used 440 times on instagram between December 2018 and 7 May 2019. (465 posts as of 14 May 2019 representing growth of 4%)
- #WHPxxx – Instagram’s Weekend Hashtag Project. The theme changes every week. Keep an eye on Instagram’s own Instagram account on Instagram to be informed of the latest theme. Hillsborough photographer and graphic designer Gavin McKay used #WHPgreatoutdoors on his content and achieved a global reach approaching 500,000 engagements in the form of instagram ‘hearts’ or likes in less than 10 hours and much more since. Do note that your description or copy can be as important as your image. Do see Instagram as a visual storytelling platform. Instagram currently have 235 million followers on instagram! The #WHPgreatoutdoors hashtag was used in 20,311 posts – not a bad result for one weekend! (30,200 posts as of 14 May 2019 representing growth of 48%)
- #NIExplorer – created and managed by blogger NIExplorer – if you use hashtag: #NIExplorer in your content you may feature in his FanPicFriday content distribution. The NIExplorer audience on instagram is currently 6,291 followers. (15,300 as of 14 May 2019) This hashtag has been used in 3,345 posts to date. (16,600 posts as of 14 May 2019 representing growth of 25%)
- #OnGoogleMaps – created and managed by Google – if you use hashtag: #OnGoogleMaps your content has the potential of being featured on the GoogleMaps instagram channel. Googlemaps on instagram have 814,000 followers. (1,000,000 as of 14 May 2019) This hashtag has been used in 79,300 posts to date. (187,000 posts as of 14 May 2019 representing growth of 73%)
- #VisitBelfast – owned and managed by Visitor Information Centre Visit Belfast – if you use hashtag: #VisitBelfast in your posts their instagram account states that you are giving permission for Visit Belfast to share your photos. Visit Belfast have 24,600 followers on Instagram. (31,700 as of 14 May 2019) The #VisitBelfast hashtag has been used in 33,900 posts to date. (58,400 posts as of 14 May 2019 representing growth of 72%)
- #ThrowbackThursday – a generic hashtag that supports an engaging trend in content marketing that can trigger an emotion of nostalgia with your audience. It can also enable you to legitimately distribute content that you simply didn’t get the chance to post at the time – as is expected on Instagram i.e. ‘Insta’-gram. There have been 41.4 million posts on instagram using the hashtag: #throwbackthursday (46.7 million as of 14 May 2019)
- #GuardianTravelSnaps – by Guardian Travel. The Guardian Travel Snaps instagram page, with 248,000 followers. (241,000 as of 14 May 2019) This page states “Tag your snaps with #GuardianTravelSnaps and we will feature the best.” 1.1 million instagram posts have been tagged with the hashtag #GuardianTravelSnaps. (1.4 million posts as of 14 May 2019 representing growth of 27%)
- #BBCTravel #LoveTheWorld – by BBC Travel who have 1.3 million followers on Instagram. (1.4 million as of 14 May 2019) BBC Travel instagram page states: “Use #BBCTravel or #LoveTheWorld for a regram of your journeys.”. #BBCTravel has been used in 2.9 million posts. #LoveTheWorld has been used in 849,000 instagram posts. (4.1 million posts as of 14 May representing growth of 382%)
- #EarthCapture by BBC Earth instagram page. This hashtag has been used 513,000 times. (924,000 as of 14 May 2019)
- #YourShotPhotographer – Hashtag by National Geographic’s instagram page: NatGeoYourShot which has 948,000 instagram followers. (2.1 million as of 14 May 2019) Their instagram description states: “We are your shot – @natgeo’s photo community. Let’s tell stories together. #YourShotPhotographer.” 1.2 million instagram posts can be found on the #YourShotPhotographer hashtag. (2.6 million posts as of 14 May representing a growth of 116%)
- #NGTUK – by @NatGeoTravelUK instagram page 39,100 posts (68,500 posts as of 14 May 2019 representing in a growth of 75%)
- #LonelyPlanet – by Lonely Planet Instagram Page, with 1.8 million followers, states: “Tag your shots w/ #LonelyPlanet #LPFanPhoto #MyLPGuide”. The #LonelyPlanet hashtag takes you to 6.9 million pieces of content on Instagram. #LPFanPhoto has 330,000 individual posts and #MyLPGuide has 60,500 instagram posts.
- #NTChallenge – by The National Trust (one of Watson & Co. Chartered Marketing’s many WorldHost training clients) has 68,500 instagram posts using their hashtag. (88,800 posts as of 14 May 2019 representing a growth of 29%) They also use the hashtag #NationalTrust in their Instagram Bio – this hashtag links you to 971,000 individual posts. (1.3 million posts as of 14 May 2019 representing in a growth of 33%)
- #LoveGreatBritain – by the British Tourist Board, who have 381,000 followers on their LoveGreatBritain instagram channel. (395,000 as of 14 May 2019) State: “Tag #LoveGreatBritain to allow us to share on our channels”. 851,000 posts on instagram have followed this instruction. (1.1 million posts as of 14 May 2019 representing in a growth of 22%)
- #GoPro by GoPro, who have 15.6 million followers on their GoPro instagram channel. State on their instagram page – Share with #GoPro. This hashtag has been used 35.9 million times (41.5 million posts as of 14 May 2019 representing in a growth of 15%)
- #ShotOnIphone by Apple. On their instagram page Apple state that “Everyone has a story to tell” and encourage instagram content creators to “Tag #ShotoniPhone to take part”. Apple have 14.9 million instagram followers and this hashtag has been used on instagram on 7.6 million occasions (as of 13 May 2019).
- #RepostMyFujiFilm by FujiFilm. This hashtag has been used in 78,600 individual pieces of content on Instagram. (145,000 posts as of 14 May 2019 representing in a growth of 84%)
- #CNNTravel – by CNN Travel, an instagram page with 393,000 followers. (552,000 as of 14 May 2019) CNNTravel state: “Tag #CNNTravel in your photos to be featured our page!”. This hashtag has been used 253,000 times. (418,000 as of 14 May 2019 representing a growth of 65%). An especially relevant hashtag if you are targeting American awareness of your destination and/or tourism business.
More localised and themed hashtags to consider when tourism marketing from Northern Ireland:
- #BelfastCC – by Belfast City Council (one of Watson & Co. Chartered Marketing’s many WorldHost training clients) – 529 posts (980 posts as of 14 May 2019 representing a growth of 85%)
- #MEAdventures – by Mid and East Antrim Borough Council – 690 posts (1,894 posts as of 7 May 2019 representing growth of 174%)
- #ShapedBySeaAndStone – by Mid and East Antrim Borough Council – 542 followers on their instagram channel, with 133 hashtag posts as of 14 May 2019.
- #TasteMEA – by Mid and East Antrim Borough Council – 1,944 followers on their instagram channel, with 316 posts as of 14 May 2019.
- #VisitDerry – by Visit Derry – 7,433 followers on their instagram channel, with 5,366 posts as of 14 May 2019.
- #VisitCauseway – by Visit Causeway Coast and Glens – 501 hashtag posts as of 14 May 2019.
- #TQEventsBelfast – by Titanic Foundation Ltd (another one of Watson & Co. Chartered Marketing’s many WorldHost training clients) – 1,915 followers on their instagram channel, with 533 hashtag posts. Presumably assisted by physical signage during events in Titanic Quarter such as the Belfast Maritime Festival (711 posts as of 14 May 2019 representing a growth of 33%)
- #VisitBangor – 1,229 followers on their instagram channel, with 348 posts (1259 posts as of 14 May 2019 representing a growth of 261%)
- #BelfastCoffeeMap – 521 posts (820 posts as of 14 May 2019 representing a growth of 57%)
- #ExploreBelfast – 27,400 followers on their instagram page, with 5,514 hashtag posts (15,100 posts as of 14 May 2019 representing a growth of 173%)
- #BoutYeh – 16,600 followers on their instagram page, with 5,040 hashtag posts (10,400 posts as of 14 May 2019 representing a growth of 106%)
- #VisitPortadown – 141 followers on their instagram page, with 241 hashtag posts (265 posts as of 14 May 2019 representing a growth of 9.9%)
- #WalkNI – 1,436 followers on their instagram page, with 6,126 hashtag posts (8,548 posts as of 14 May 2019 representing a growth of 39%)
- #LoveQUB – 5,239 hashtag posts (7,158 posts as of 14 May 2019 representing a growth of 36%)
- #PureNorthernIreland – 4,663 followers on their instagram page, with 26,050 posts (29,100 posts as of 14 May 2019 representing a growth of 11%)
- #TasteTheGreatness by Food NI – 50 followers on their instagram page, with 682 hashtag posts (1280 posts as of 14 May 2019 representing a growth of 87%)
- VisitLisburnCastlereagh – void of hashtag the official instagram account for Lisburn and Castlereagh tourism encourage content creators to ‘tag’ VisitLisburnCastlereagh in their Lisburn and Castlereagh pics. VisitLisburnCastlereagh has 1,748 followers on their instagram page, with 228 hashtag posts as of 14 May 2019.
- #GlassOfThrones – the hashtag used on the Stain Glass Windows dotted throughout Belfast depicting scenes from the Game of Thrones HBO Series (2,817 posts as of 14 May 2019)
The only thing guaranteed in life is change
Do remember that instagrammers can now choose to follow hashtags on instagram as well as instagram accounts so don’t underestimate hashtag marketing in your content marketing plans and activities.
Seeking more hashtags for your content?
Do note that there is an optimum as well as a maximum number of hashtags you can and should use in your content marketing and this differs per platform or channel. Take a look at the further reading below to find out more.
Tools such as Hashtagify.me can open up new possibilities also. Have a go – take a look at the instagram posts of a competitor you deem effective with their social media marketing activity, what hashtags are they using? Type a few into Hashtagify.me and glean some insights to apply to your own content marketing going forward.
Following our first distribution of this listicle blog we received some great feedback on LinkedIn noting the language differences in tourism marketing. Whilst language variations do exist and are used they are ideal when targeting a specific geographic location. Examples include: #InstantIrelande by TourismeIrlandais which has generated 1,930 posts, #DescubreIrlanda links you to 7,882 posts and #Turismoirlanda by Tourismo Irlanda which has generated 3,030 posts.
It takes time to write content so if you found this blog useful please tell others in person or via a share. If you have found benefit from adopting our advice and tips please tell us and/or tell others – you can review us on Google reviews, facebook reviews, by leaving a LinkedIn testimonial or simply emailing us.
Further reading in the area of Hashtag Marketing:
Further reading in the area of Instagram Marketing
Hashtags work across multiple social media platforms. An example of this would be Localised or Sectoral Twitter Hours for example #BelfastHour – We even have a whole other blog on this: https://www.watsonsmarketing.com/twitter_hours_ni/. Hashtags such as #JournoRequest can be especially useful to keep a social listening eye on too – you never know what online and/or offline coverage a relevant response to a #JournoRequest could bring to your tourism organisation.
Blog created 15 May 2018 by Chartered Marketer, Licensed WorldHost Trainer and WorldHost NI Ambassador Christine Watson. We started this listicle with 7 hashtags that could help your content marketing efforts but there are many more than this so do expect new hashtags to appear as time goes on. We added 5 more including a nod to language variations on 2 June 2017. Additional hashtags added 7 May 2019. Apple #Shotoniphone and #GlassOfThrones hashtags and growth stats added 13 May 2019. Contribution by Trainee Ronan Tennyson on 17 May 2019.
If you know of a hashtag that we should include don’t be shy about contacting us via our social media or directly by email using our contact us website form.
WatsonsMarketing deliver training and mentoring in all areas of marketing including digital marketing. In-house events are scheduled at a date and time to suit you and our upcoming learning events can be found at watsonsmarketing.com/events
If you have a training or mentoring requirement in this area or others we would love to hear from you.